Suggested Readings and Websites
- Hekima College Institute of Peace Studies and International Relations and Jesuit Hakimani Centre for Peace and Just Societal Structures. Hakimani is a combination of three Swahili words for Haki (Justice), Imani (Faith) and Imani (Peace).
- Intreculturas is a Development NGO promoted by the Jesuits. It contends that education is a key tool for development, transformation, social change and intercultural dialogue.
- Réseau d’Organisations des Droits Humains et d’Education Civique d’Inspiration Chrétienne (Rodhecic)
- Groupe Jeremie est un groupe d’éducation civique, de promotion de la paix et de la démocratie et de défense des droits de la personne dans la non-violence active et évangélique
- Centre Ubuntu fosters trauma healing in Burundi
- Agence Dia documentation et Information pour l’Afrique
- Yes Africa Matters is a website created in preparation for and to follow up on the Second Special Assembly of Bishops for Africa with the Theme “The Church in Africa in service to reconciliation, justice and peace: You are the salt of the earth… you are the light of the world.”
- Africa Faith and Justice Network educates and advocates for a transformation of U.S. policies toward Africa.
- Hollenbach, David, ed. Refugee Rights: Ethics, Advocacy, and Africa. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press, 2008. The contributors—all of whom have “on the ground” experience in East Africa—identify social and political conditions facing refugees while suggesting how the problems of forced displacement can be mitigated.
- Norwegian Refugee Council. Internal Displacement: Global Overview of Trends and Developments in 2007. Geneva: 2007. This report highlights that the estimated number of people displaced within their countries by armed conflicts and violence has passed the 26 million mark, the highest global total since the early 1990s.
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). The State of the World’s Refugees 2006: Human Displacement in the New Millennium. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006.